Orchard Learning 2018 is an ambitious, orchard-based, practical learning programme. The 12-month course is in tune with the growing year, and offers participants a unique learning opportunity in a rich and diverse local food project.
• Know your trees – characteristics, history, ‘internal condition’
• Care for your trees – pests, diseases, disorders, nutrition
• Pruning all year round – why, how, and when
• Resilience in the face of climate change & weather challenges
• Good harvests – storage, preservation, health benefits
• Sharing skills and knowledge with other members & the public
From February 2018 to January 2019, the group meets one day each month for 5 hours, for an indoor 2 hour ‘theory’ session, followed by a 2.5 hour ‘practical’ session in the orchard.
Developed as a holistic and intensive learning experience, participants will share responsibility (with 1 or 2 others) for two calendar months (including 4 working meetings) during the year. They will also actively organise up to 3 public events at the orchard.