About the opportunity
A FoodCycle Project is where the magic happens: we collect food from supermarkets, bring it to a venue and cook it into a three-course meal for our guests. Each Project is run on the ground by a team of special lead volunteers called Project Leaders. These people are passionate, committed people who want to make a positive change within their community.
FoodCycle Projects have a team of 8-10 Project Leaders who take on a specific area such as managing volunteers, promoting the Project locally or running fundraising events. As Team Coordinator, you’ll support head office with Project Leader recruitment, organise team meetings and liaise with your Community Partner.
Skills you'll learn
• Recruitment of volunteers: you’ll support your Regional Project Manager to recruit Project Leaders.
• Relationship Management: you’ll liaise with your Community Partner and work hard to maintain good communication channels and a strong working relationship.
• Communication: you’ll be the Project Leader team’s main point of contact with FoodCycle Central.
• Leadership and delegation: we'll train you up to lead cooking sessions and induct new volunteers into the kitchen.
• Relationship building: you'll be building lasting relationships with your guests and volunteers, ensuring they come back each week.
• Social media: you'll utilise social media channels to promote your project and events.
• Fundraising: you and your team will be responsible for raising vital funds to support your project.
• Running effective meetings: you’ll organise Project Leader meetings once a month to discuss the running of your Project.
What to expect from FoodCycle
• On going support and advice from a 'Regional Project Manager' at FoodCycle's head office.
• A two-day training conference to equip you for your role. Travel, accommodation and food cost covered by FoodCycle.
• Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
• Level two food safety qualification provided by FoodCycle that lasts three years.
• The opportunity to meet a large network of like-minded people.
• A fun, creative volunteer experience with ownership over a community led project.
FoodCycle combines surplus food, volunteers and free kitchen space to create nutritious, three-course meals for the community.
We have 4 main aims:
• To strengthen communities, by bringing people together around a healthy meal and creating opportunities to talk, exchange and build lasting relationships
• To encourage friendships, by creating spaces for people from all backgrounds and walks of life to have fun together, to share experiences and to meet new people.
• To improve nutrition and reduce hunger, by cooking healthy meals for those in need and sharing essential information on food and nutrition.
• To change attitudes towards food and to reduce food waste, by using surplus food and spreading our passion for food and the environment.
What are they looking for?
We ask that Project Leaders stay with us for 9 - 12 months, to enable them to get the most out of the role.
As Team Coordinator, you’ll be expected to volunteer on average 6 hours a month, this is broken down into:
• Attending a monthly Project Leader Meeting to discuss as a team how things are going.
• Leading 1 Cooking Session.
We ask that Hub Leaders stay with us for 9 - 12 months, to enable them to get the most out of the role. As
Volunteer Coordinator Hub Leader, you’ll be expected to volunteer on average 9 hours a month, this is broken down into:
• Attending a monthly Hub Leader Meeting to discuss as a team how things are going.
• Leading 1 Cooking Session.
• Volunteer coordination activities.