Purpose of the role Windmill Hill City Farm provides opportunities for people without a garden, families and schools and encourages them to take part in food growing, farming and other outdoor activities.
The placement takes place from 21st April 2020 - 9th June 2020, on Tuesdays 09:30 - 15:30.
In partnership with the Richmond Fellowship and as part of Bristol Mental Health Employment Service (BMHES), we are running an 8 week Garden Placement for individuals who have experienced a mental health challenge. The placement covers a range of garden and maintenance activities. We are looking for individuals to join the placement and develop the Community Gardens at Windmill Hill City Farm into a beautiful and productive space where people can grow and thrive.
On the placement, you will maintain and develop garden areas so they can be used for gardening and food growing activities. Through participation in the placement you will learn a range of gardening and site maintenance skills in a working environment.
Main activities/ tasks
Harvesting and Production
• Propagation – Seed sowing, greenhouse work, watering
• Garden Maintenance – Planting, weeding, design
• Harvesting - Pick, weigh, record, and deliver garden produce to the café.
Garden maintenance and infrastructure development
• Garden development - developing areas of the garden to be used by groups e.g. children’s garden, wildlife area.
• Ground maintenance – mowing, strimming, edging
• Site maintenance – paths, fencing, fixing
• Organise and clean pots, tools and resources.
Information on careers in gardening