Are you highly organised with strong project management skills and the ability to support the internal operations of a small but dynamic company?
Are you passionate about collaborating and engaging others as part of Bristol's fast and fair response to climate and nature crises?
Role: Full Time (1 FTE/ 35 hrs per week). Flexibility to attend relevant events outside of normal Monday - Friday working hours may be necessary from time to time to fulfil the role requirements.
Interviews: 8 and 9 November (online or in-person tbc)
Start date: Ideally 6 December and no later than 8 December 2021
Bristol Green Capital Partnership aims to deliver its programme in a way that recognises the importance of an inclusive society, creating opportunities and access for all individuals. We are committed to promoting equality, valuing diversity, ensuring accessibility, and respecting human rights.
We strive to ensure that marginalised groups are represented and that our organisation reflects the diversity of the city in which we operate (considering all protected characteristics). We encourage and welcome applications from suitably skilled candidates from all backgrounds.
About the organisation:
Bristol Green Capital Partnership CIC is the community interest company that supports Bristol's environmental sustainability network of 1,000+ member organisations. Its mission is to support Partnership members and promote environmental sustainability throughout Bristol and the West of England, providing a leadership voice and enabling collaboration and collective action across sectors towards our shared vision.
About the role:
The Interim Operations & Project Manager will be joining Bristol Green Capital Partnership at an exciting time, helping to boost citywide efforts in response to the climate and ecological emergencies. As a 9-month maternity cover role, they will be responsible for overseeing the delivery of the Black & Green Ambassadors programme during this time and helping to manage the organisation's day-to-day operations and programme delivery as part of a small, dynamic and energetic team.
Working closely with the Chief Operating Officer, this person will support the smooth running of the organisation's finance, operations and HR processes. In addition, they will undertake line management responsibilities and work closely with the broader team to support the Partnership's core programme of activities, including regular Green Mingles and Partnership Gatherings and business planning, development, and income generation activities.
One of their main areas of work will be project managing the delivery of the Black & Green Ambassadors programme, which will be in the second year of its three-year programme, working in close collaboration with project partner Ujima Radio CIC. This will involve planning and managing the programme to ensure that it is delivering its objectives within budget and agreed timeframes and reporting to grant funders and sponsors. They will also work closely with the Chief Operating Officer and key partners at Ujima Radio to develop the programme and maximise funding and sponsorship opportunities.
As a role that covers both day-to-day operational responsibilities and project management, this will suit someone with strong time management skills and the ability to manage competing priorities – being able to provide consistent and ongoing support to ensure the smooth internal operations of the community interest company whilst managing a varied project workload and range of development opportunities presented by the Black & Green Ambassadors programme.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate project management and budget management experience, the confidence to work with a broad range of stakeholders at different levels, the ability to problem-solve with a proactive and adaptable approach, and a passion for ensuring that collaboration and partnership working remains at the heart of project delivery.
• Providing overall project management for the 3-year Black & Green Ambassadors programme, supported by the Bristol Green Capital Partnership Project Coordinator, and working alongside both the Strategic lead and Ambassadors Coordinator at Ujima Radio. Responsibilities include:
o Maintaining regular communication with Ambassadors and the programme team to ensure that the programme is delivering outcomes in line with the grant funding agreement.
o Proactively seeking opportunities to extend and enhance the programme's impact, including supporting the Ambassadors development and delivery of programme activities, facilitating connections within the Partnership network, and identifying opportunities to integrate with the Partnerships' wider programme.
o Acting as the communication lead, overseeing the maintenance of the website, managing responses to media enquiries, producing relevant content and press releases.
o Overseeing the overall programme budget, managing allocations of funding between partner organisations and financial reporting.
o Hosting project meetings, including monthly Ambassador programme meetings, regular Delivery Partner meetings and quarterly Steering Group meetings.
o Implementing the evaluation and monitoring framework, providing six-monthly reports to grant funders and stakeholders, and overseeing production and dissemination of an Annual Report (next due Oct 2022).
o Overseeing the delivery of programme web page, managing the programme brand and logos and related enquiries, providing central news content/press releases.
o Overseeing the recruitment of Ambassadors and project related posts (recruitment for Year Three Ambassadors in June/July 2022).
o Working closely with key partners at Ujima Radio and the BGCP Chief Operating Officer to develop the programme and maximise strategic funding and sponsorship opportunities – including managing relationships with current sponsors, building relationships with future partners, contributing to funding applications and identifying other opportunities to develop the programme and enhance or extend its impact.
• Working with the Chief Operating Officer to ensure the team is provided with flexible office and home working arrangements, including booking co-working spaces and meeting rooms (whilst looking into longer-term office options), ordering IT equipment, managing our online company subscription to Microsoft 365 and other company licenses and software packages.
• Ensuring the implementation of all HR policies and procedures, including acting as the lead for General Data Protection Regulations and being responsible for health & safety.
• Maintaining employee records and ensuring that payroll, pension, and HMRC contributions are made in an accurate and timely manner (through the contract management with an external accountancy firm who manages payroll and pension services).
• Supporting any new recruitment staff and supporting induction processes and ongoing administration of staff annual leave and absence forms.
• Alongside the Chief Operating Officer, undertaking key company tasks, including scheduling and planning director and general meetings, maintaining Companies House records, and registering Directors' interests.
• Working with the Chief Operating Officer (who has final sign off on reporting and financial decision making) to support company financial policies and processes, including budgeting and cash flow forecasts, banking, invoicing, bookkeeping, processing staff expenses, and producing quarterly and annual reports for the Board of Directors.
• Working with colleagues to support the ongoing planning, scheduling, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of all programmed activities, including monthly Green Mingle networking events and larger Partnership Gatherings.
• Any other duties as reasonably requested by the Chief Operating Officer to support the organisation's programme delivery and operational management.
Business planning & development
• Supporting the Chief Operating Officer with income generation activities and company strategic and annual business planning, focusing on operational delivery.
• Contributing to company financial forecasting and planning and reviewing budgets on an ongoing basis with the Chief Operating Officer.
• Line management of the Project Coordinator, including undertaking an annual appraisal and regular meetings to review progress towards objectives.
• Contributing to papers for quarterly Board of Directors' meetings to ensure timely input of advice and reporting.
• Ensure appropriate and effective evaluation and reporting of projects and activities, including capturing programme data for company impact reporting.
• At least 3-5 years of operations, programme or project management with a track record of success.
• Successful line management experience.
• Successful partnership or stakeholder management and the ability to develop new and effective collaborative relationships.
• Experience of preparing and managing budgets, reporting against these, and financial management (for either a company, programme, or project).
• Knowledge and experience of the climate and ecological emergencies and/or environmental and climate justice issues at a local and national/global level.
• Experience of monitoring and evaluation, including the ability to communicate impact of activities, programme or projects.
• Experience in delivering impactful events and/or stakeholder meetings.
• Experience in successfully generating income and/or fundraising for a project or organisation.
• Experience of business planning and/or project development and the successful transformation of plans into reality.
• Experience of managing HR, payroll and pension policies and processes.
Skills, knowledge and abilities
• Strong planning and organisational skills and ability to balance competing priorities and a varied workload.
• Self-motivated with strong interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to solve problems creatively.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence in communicating complex ideas and issues through various formats and tools.
• Knowledge and awareness of diversity, inclusion and equality principles and experience of working to improve these outcomes within an organisation, programme or project.
• Practical knowledge of general data protection regulations.
• Confident use of administrate IT systems/software, such as Microsoft 365 Business (or similar) and virtual meeting platforms such as MS Teams and Zoom.
• Understanding of the range of issues facing the public, private and voluntary/ community sectors in a city context.
• Experience of managing PR and media enquiries.
• Knowledge of Companies House filing and reporting requirements, ideally for community interest companies.
Important note on applications
Maternity cover is required for an existing full-time post (35 hrs p/w). However, we wish to be as flexible as possible, and so are open to alternative arrangements and would consider a job-sharing arrangement for two-part time posts if candidates have the right level of skills and experience and together these are sufficient to cover the maternity cover role requirements. We would also consider secondment(s).
Place of work: We are in the process of transitioning to a part-time, flexible central Bristol co-working office location. The role will combine home-based, and office-based working and the successful candidate must be willing to work from both when required.
Flexible working: Company staff benefit from a flexible approach to working, but there is no formal flexitime system. Excess hours may be taken in lieu by agreement with your line manager. We promote flexible working patterns wherever required to maximise opportunities for people with caring responsibilities.
Work permits: We are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits or visa applications. Only applicants with the right to work in the UK will be considered. Evidence of this will need to be provided during the recruitment process.
References: successful candidates will be asked to provide the names and contact details for two referees.