Salary: £27,000 pro rata
Reports to: Bristol Pound CEO
Direct reports: Interns and volunteers as required
Days: 3 to 4 days a week negotiable
Location: Bristol Pound office, Bristol City Centre
About the role
Bristol Pound CIC are looking to recruit a Marketing and Communications Manager. This person will develop and deliver a communications strategy which takes our key messages to journalists, members and stakeholders, and expands the reach of the Bristol Pound in our city.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will provide editorial, creative and operational support across our communications and marketing work, and will play a key role in ensuring our communications are well-timed, influential, creative, and have impact.
The role will also work closely with the wider Bristol Pound team to support members and increase the use of the Bristol Pound in the city.
You will be experienced at communicating to a wide range of audiences, including press and media.
You will be outgoing, confident and persistent – up for the challenge of strengthening Bristol’s independent sector – and able to clearly and simply articulate the benefits of the Bristol Pound scheme and its related services.
You will enjoy working as part of a dynamic, creative and friendly team, as well as leading on your own work areas.
You understand why the Bristol Pound exists and want to be an integral part of building the local currency and other local economic alternatives.
Key areas of work
• Lead on delivery of a communications strategy, and coordinate communication with key partner organisations in the city.
• Create and deliver creative marketing campaigns and promotions to encourage the use of Bristol Pounds, in collaboration with the wider team.
• Manage the day-to-day delivery of our social media channels, creating new content, responding to enquiries and growing our audiences. This also includes monitoring and reporting on channel development.
• Deliver a press strategy and act as the primary point of contact for media enquiries, drafting and sending out press releases, ensuring relationships with key journalists are managed.
• Oversee the production of printed materials where necessary, in collaboration with contractors and the wider team.
• Develop, manage and write content for our website and blog.
• Draft and send emails to our mailing lists via mailchimp.
Areas of secondary responsibility
Public profile and events
• Help organise and attend Bristol Pound networking events and other public events to meet current and potential members and present Bristol Pound to new audiences.
Support for member forums
• Take forward our member organising strategy, and actively support the set-up of member driven processes.
• Support volunteers and interns where necessary
• Attend team meetings and contribute to the running of the organisation as required
• Experience in leading a communications or marketing strategy in an organisation..
• A confident communicator with experience creating a range of content (including written and visual) for a variety of communications channels.
• Skilled in writing, including for marketing, web, blog posts and social media.
• Proven ability to use social media to drive interaction with content and messaging – and increase audience size and reach.
• Experience of using web tools such as WordPress and mailchimp.
• Highly organised and able to manage own workload.
• Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
• Basic understanding of the Bristol Pound and why we exist.
• Experience writing press releases, liaising with journalists and responding to media enquiries
• Experience of making short videos for online content, and in taking photos.
• Ability to use Photoshop, Indesign and other Adobe programme for basic design, photo editing and layout.
• Experience of online tools such as HootSuite, SproutSocial, Google Analytics.
• Experience working or volunteering in a not-for-profit organisation.
The post will be part-time (3 or 4 days per week negotiable) at a basic salary of £27,000 pro rata. The post is subject to a six-monthly renewable contract, with renewal confirmed in month 4 of each period. The first contract is subject to a 3-month probationary period.