Salary: £27,000 pro rata
Reports to: Bristol Pound CEO
Direct reports: Interns and volunteers as required
Days: 3 or 4 days a week negotiable
Location: Bristol Pound office, Bristol city centre
About the role
Thousands of people living in, working in and visiting Bristol use the Bristol Pound. They’re using paper Bristol Pounds to buy groceries and train fares, paying by app for cycle repairs and using online repeat payments to pay their council tax. Bristol was the first UK city to have its own currency and the Bristol Pound continues to grow.
Bristol Pound CIC are looking to recruit a Membership Manager who will be responsible for supporting and growing the organisation’s business and individual membership. The role will also work closely with the wider Bristol Pound team to increase the use of the Bristol Pound in the city.
You will be experienced and comfortable working with and communicating with a diverse range of people and businesses. You will have strong customer-service skills and an eye for audience development.
You will be persuasive and collaborative in your approach to working in partnership with corporates and citizen networks in the city.
You will be outgoing, confident and persistent – up for the challenge of strengthening Bristol’s independent sector – and able to clearly and simply articulate to businesses and individuals the benefits of the Bristol Pound scheme and its related services.
You will enjoy working as part of a dynamic, creative and friendly team, as well as leading on your own work areas.
You understand why the Bristol Pound exists and want to be an integral part of building the local currency and other local economic alternatives.
Key areas of work
Member recruitment and acquisition
• Develop and deliver strategies to recruit new members and increase the number of active Bristol Pound account holders – both businesses and individuals.
Account set-up and support
• Provide one to one advice in person, by email and telephone to assist in setting up and using accounts, including use of online banking and mobile payment functions.
Supply Chain development and support for spending
• Conduct supply chain reviews with business members to identify further opportunities to spend within the local economy.
• Provide tailored advice to individuals to encourage creation of £Bs and spending of £Bs in the city. Collect regular feedback to help develop effective tactics for increasing use.
• Ensure data about business and individual members is accurate and kept up to date where it is used publicly. Keep accurate records of engagement.
Areas of secondary responsibility
• Work closely with the Communications Manager to develop communications channels and content that will help businesses and individuals use Bristol Pounds more and become more engaged in the scheme. This will include printed and digital materials.
Public profile and events
• Help organise and attend Bristol Pound networking events and other public events to meet current and potential members and present Bristol Pound to new audiences.
• Support volunteers and interns where necessary
• Attend team meetings and contribute to the running of the organisation as required
• Experience in a relevant field – relationship management, stakeholder engagement, supporter acquisition, customer services
• Experience of project and data management, and reporting
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with the ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
• Understanding and experience of working with the small business sector and civil society networks, ideally within the Bristol City region.
• Ability to use initiative and creativity to propose solutions that work for all parties
• Ability to work collaboratively and independently
• Understanding of the Bristol Pound’s role in the local economy and a commitment to its values.
Remuneration and Tenure
The post will be part-time (3-4 days per week negotiable) at a basic salary of £27,000 pro rata. The post is funded until the end of 2018 with the intention to extend. Following a 3-month probationary period, the post is subject to a six-monthly renewable contract, with renewal confirmed in month 4 of each period.