The Health and Social Care Team works with the local community to offer services and activities across a number of areas, including improving people’s mental wellbeing through support in a community environment. Support is available for people with mental health issues through a range of activities including a weekly drop-in session on Tuesday evenings, for peer and professional support.
We are looking for a volunteer to join the Health and Social Care Team and be a befriender in mental health drop in sessions. You will develop a safe and welcome environment in which people with mental health issues can make friends, explore issues and make life progress.
• To assist the session leader to organise and run the session.
• To meet and greet individuals into the sessions.
• To engage in informal conversation and listen to individuals, providing emotional support where appropriate.
• To create a comfortable and safe environment.
• Participate in a range of activities of the individuals’ choice (for example board games, art).
Skills and Qualities you should have:
• Good communication and active listening skills
• Ability to relate to a diverse range of people.
• Non judgemental attitude and keen to support people from all backgrounds.
• Some experience of working with adults with mental health issues.
• A friendly, welcoming and inclusive approach.
• Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
• An understanding of confidentiality
This is an ideal role for someone who would like to develop experience of working in a Health and Social care team and a community organisation. It is also an opportunity to gain understanding of mental health issues and activities to support those with mental health difficulties.